Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cowan

On the way back from Sewanee yesterday morning I drove down the mountain on winding and steep two lane road and headed into the flatter farm land near the very small town of Cowan.
Just on the outskirts of town I pulled off the highway and headed down a narrow side road until I quickly dead-ended at a cemetery.
Pulling the truck over onto the shoulder of the road I climbed out, walked over to the entrance of the cemetery and looked out over miles and miles of farm land that was surrounded by the hills and mountains that make up the Cumberland Plateau.
It was a raw, cold, windy and damp morning but I spent a long time standing there anyway.
Looking deep into the mountains I could see the back side of Templeton Library, and as I looked up at it I smiled because after many years I now knew what that strange looking building surrounded by trees on both sides actually was.
Looking up at it on a cold and cloudy day it looked ominous.
LC and I had solved the mystery of the mysterious building during a sunny day of exploration and discovery back in November.
And on that sunny day, looking at it closely while standing in front of it, it is a beautiful place.
I watched the large herd of black cattle standing and grazing and running in a field close to where I was standing,
Looking all around me, surrounding the brief hints of civilization, were the mountains and trees and open farm land that are all common sights in this part of Tennessee.
It was a beautiful scene and for a while I disregarded the cold, loving every minute of standing outside and alone............
From where I was standing down at the bottom of the mountain it looked very small, but knowing what this structure was I snapped this very zoomed-in picture.
A link to our visit in November when we unexpectedly found the Templeton Library:
I spent a couple of minutes smiling and focused on this cow who loudly and inexplicably decided to run back towards the rest of the herd after having grazed happily alone for a long time...............
By the time I climbed back into my truck I was freezing, and I dug around until I found a fleece hat and thankfully put it on.
Further digging was unsuccessful in finding a pair of gloves.
Turning the heat on full blast I drove only a couple more miles until I reached Cowan and pulled the truck into a parking space at a gas station slash convenience store.
The gas station (slash convenience store) was across the road from a series of structures and interesting features that I wanted to see, and that were all clustered close to the railroad tracks.
The tracks in Cowan run directly through the center of town (as they do in so many other small towns in this region) and effectively split the town down the middle.
And as with so many other towns in this region, I have driven through Cowan more times than I can remember yet have never stopped at it.
In fact I HAVE actually stopped in Cowan twice over the years.
Both times while riding a road bike.
Both times in the middle of a century road ride and both times stopping with groups of other riders outside another small convenience store to be fed home-made cookies that were baked by members of a local Boy Scout troop that was supporting the ride.
But hungrily scarfing down home-made chocolate chip cookies before remounting and heading out of town with many more miles still yet to ride, is not the same as taking time to actually see and enjoy the town.
And so yesterday morning, with a warmer head and still cold hands, I walked parts of Cowan.
A sign for the railroad museum.
I snapped this picture and then happily followed the arrow.............
Heading towards the museum..............
After stopping frequently to take pictures of sights I found around the huge grassy area the makes up this railroad-centric downtown square, I finally made my way to the museum.
It was a lovely, well kept, colorful, small town facility that I quickly realized was closed.
The sign outside the museum told me that the building was closed until May.
Information about the engine that was silently parked in back of the museum:

The Town of Cowan, located east-southeast of Winchester, the county seat of Franklin County, developed around the N&C railroad station in the early 1850's when this little Tennessee village was a passenger stop on the main line between Nashville and Chattanooga. It also was a spur line for rail service to Tracy City, Sewanee and Monteagle, and a base for the Cowan-Sherwood Pusher District. A pusher engine was a helper engine that gave assistance to the overburdened locomotives as they ascended the Cumberland Mountain to reach the tunnel. Cowan was the last stop before approaching this tunnel. It is 2,228 feet in length and one of the earliest and the longest in the state. This tunnel is indispensable to rail transportation and serves the CSX Railroad today.
A quiet residential side street close to the museum.............
After taking pictures close to the museum I walked behind the closed facility and worked my way across to the other side of the tracks..............
One more bright red caboose.
That makes four so far (Cowan, Tullahoma, Wartrace, Bell Buckle).
Four and counting..............
Crossing over the track, with Cumberland Mountain in the background.
I was freezing cold but there was little traffic and few people wandering outside, and I was really having a great time exploring alone and in my own time, and spending time with my own thoughts.
I don't remember Cowan as being a very nice town, but as with Winchester that I visited recently as well, this small town seems to be slightly on the upswing.
This square was hugely and quietly interesting................
As I approached this area in the grass on the opposite side of the tracks I assumed that I was approaching a series of stones acknowledging and honoring local residents who had served in war time.
I was surprised to realize that this entire area was simply dedicated to the employees of a huge cement company that was located in the area between 1926 and 1981................
WHY A LOG CABIN?
(This article was written by Evamaria Krischell and published in the May 24, 1975 issue of the Cowan Bell.)
When the first rumors of a Cowan sponsored Bicentennial Celebration floated in the air and the staff of the COWAN BELL was asked to help, it seemed quite clear to us that any large project would be too much for us to handle. Just bringing our publication out bi-weekly is a full time job.
However, when Jenny Lou Brock of the Cowan Beautification Commission approached us with the idea of building a log cabin representing Franklin County’s first court house some of the old fever and confidence returned to our small group, and in our minds the impossible was possible. Our husbands saw a new adventure in this project and enthusiastically supported the idea. Juergen Krischel was selected as chairman and Dot Davidson as co-chairman for the construction of the cabin.
Very quickly a mock-up slab construction idea was replaced with the real thing, thanks to Jim Brock who knew of every generous log cabin owner in Franklin County. By the real thing we mean the 150 year old logs used from two different cabins, the clay, lime and straw mixture between the logs and all the other woodwork used in the building.
The Bank of Cowan was generous in giving us the use of their lot, and for the whole month of February and March material was piled onto it. There were many shaking heads and doubtful looks from passersby, and only the constant referral to the book, “Foxfire”, kept our confidence up. It became our companion as the first foundations were laid and the walls began to materialize in April. As one of our most avid workers commented: “I’d sure hate to sit on the back of a covered wagon with seven babies waitin’ to move in that log cabin!”
The children of Cowan were the first to believe in the completion and came daily to help.
Towards the end of April, when the cabin actually acquired an authentic look, the interest and support of all Cowaners grew – more and more people stopped their work to help for a day.
With our energy at low ebb tide and our resources depleted, there seemed no hope of building a chimney. Now, Cowan’s support reached its peak; within a few days of our devastating realization an excellent stone mason, money and material were presented to us. Two weeks later a beautiful chimney and hearth gave the cabin its finishing touch.
We hope you enjoy visiting Major William Russell’s home as much as we enjoyed building it. (E.K.)
Over the past couple of years, since I was given my first digital camera and since I began this blog, I have really come to realize just how much I have blown right by time and again without ever really seeing it.
In the span of 30 cold minutes walking around the square in an extremely quiet downtown Cowan, I had seen sweet touches such as hibernating water fountains and old style street lamps, and an unbelievable amount of history that provides the foundation for this community.
I was very cold but having so much fun wandering that I did not want to leave yet.
After arriving back at the main street that runs through this town and continues to Winchester in one direction and Sewanee and Monteagle in the other direction I turned right, planning to walk for only a little longer...........
Some of the store fronts were empty.
The remainder in this section of town contained an easy going collection of antique stores, art stores, business offices and restaurants.
Old, historic, architecturally wonderful buildings.
I liked it here.
Much more than I expected or knew that I would..................
A colorful and eclectic old furniture store.
The couch caught my attention and I walked closer to it to check it out...........
The couch was a metal and concrete construction and the color was provided by glass beads that had been imbedded while the concrete was still wet .
I smiled in delight when I saw it, curious who would buy such a thing, curious who would make such a thing, and surprised to see such an unexpected item standing outside a store in a small country town..............
I found many colorful things in Cowan yesterday.
This scene painted on the exterior of a Mexican restaurant was one more...............
One more concrete trinket sitting outside another store front on the opposite side of the street............
Gas pumps from a bygone era..............
Directly across the street from the railroad-dominant green space I had spent so much time at when I first arrived in town, is yet one more green space.
Still very close to the railroad tracks I found this monument.
A thank you to a long standing citizen of, and long standing physician in, the town of Cowan............
I am not certain what this building is - or used to be.
There was a mailbox located beside the walkway, but the building is located only 10 feet from the tracks.
Did it used to be a building related to the railway?  Is it now a home?  Or a small converted set of apartments?
I don't know..................
I kept this picture simply because I liked the view of multiple dark poles against the backdrop of the cold and grey sky.
As I looked at the electrical pole covered with dormant vines I knew that the pole would be covered with greenery in just a few months..............
Looking back towards the old gas station.
When I saw the lighted sign below the Texaco star and realized that the temperature was 29 degrees it reminded me of just how cold I now was.
I was wearing thin pants, two layers of sweaters, a jacket and a hat but as I looked down at my freezing cold and bright red hands I knew that it was time to go.
I liked this town.
At best I assumed that I would be indifferent to it.  But I liked it very much.
It was time to head back to my truck.
More information about Cowan:
I love nature, I love the landscape, because it is so sincere. It never cheats me. It never jests. It is cheerfully, musically earnest. I lie and relie on the earth..............Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment