Sunday, October 30, 2011

Woods Reservoir - Part 2

As we got closer to the place that LC and I had adopted as Bird Island we immediately realized that the island was empty.
Empty and very very quiet.
We headed for the edge of the island intending to slowly circumnavigate a large portion of it before moving on.
As we continued though we soon saw a very large flock of at least 50 or 60 ducks, swimming leisurely in a straight line away from the island.
We got closer, and then closer still, waiting for them to begin their flight away from us.
But they didn't go..............
Many nests in the trees.
The last remnants of the sanctuary for untold thousands of birds............
Eventually we did in fact move too close for comfort and almost as one they raised out of the water and took flight...............
One more duck blind on the back side of Bird Island.
When LC and I organized a navigation training for a group of adventure racers not long before leaving for Juneau I put an orienteering point inside this blind..............
More ducks swimming and more ducks flying.
The sky and water both in ridiculously rich and abundant shades of blue..........
Loving everything about having this boat.............
One more unfinished blind............
One more blind next to one more island............
As we continued our slow and quiet journey I thought back over all the times I have been in and on this lake over the years.
Kayaking alone, kayaking with LC, canoeing with LC, swamping a kayak in the middle of the lake with LC, swimming with my triathlon training partner, trips to Bird Island, dragging pieces of drift wood home to put in my front garden at the house, reconnaissance for an orienteering training then putting out checkpoints before the event then picking up checkpoints after the event, canoeing and kayaking with my LC and my youngest son Chris while he was on leave.
On that day we pulled off the water for a while on this island and ate a lunch that I had packed, and while LC and I watched my son swam in the lake.
My 6 foot 4 inch 230 pound son, and while he sat on the bottom of the lake close to shore LC yelled at him "splash around little fella!!"
My youngest son happily obliged and splashed around like a little kid and laughed like a little kid.
Many good times.
Many good memories of the past and many good memories to make in the future.
My camera died right at that point and I said unlady words 'cause I shoulda remembered to charge my camera battery before heading out and I didn't..................
After letting it sit for an hour I managed to squeeze out a picture of LC strapping down the boat...........
And then one more picture at the house before my camera finally and irrevocably gave up the ghost for the day.
We loved the boat..................

No comments:

Post a Comment