Friday, August 6, 2010

A Little Bit Of Love

The day was a tough one.  Actually it's been a tough week.
By the end of today you could have stuck a fork in me.  I was done......

Late this afternoon I finally retreated to the sanctuary of a random table and a random chair in a random office building.  Still having work to do but no longer having the stomach to do it at my regular workplace.........
I spread work out on a makeshift desk - folders and papers from one end to the other.  
Multiple projects that I was multiple juggling.
I was engrossed in work and oblivious to the odd random person coming and going past my work station, until about 30 minutes before the end of my day when an unexpected sound broke through my concentration.  
It was the sound of someone playing a piano.
I spun around in my chair to see who was playing the piano that was pushed up against a far wall hidden among the stacked chairs.
I knew the man who was playing the piano.  We have spoken politely and infrequently to each other, the way two people do when they run into each other in pseudo-professional situations, and who neither know each other well nor deal with each other often.
His playing was beautiful.  Extraordinary.  He was incredibly talented, and I was mesmorized by his music.  
Such an unexpected and wonderful distraction at the end of a tough week.
After he played three pieces of classical music he stood up, ready to go about his work again.  He looked over at me and I smiled at him. 
And then I told him that he had made my day.
We talked about his musical background - a series of both formal and informal learning experiences he has had over the years.  The typical eclectic life story of a musician.  Only he is not a musician. 
At least not professionally, and not now.
I don't know why.
It was a short, relaxed and rejuvenating conversation with an open and friendly man.
I needed that...........
After work I met my Mountain Boy at the Auke Village Recreation Area.  A rocky beach and beautiful cove close to home, where we planned on having a bar-b-q.
It rained hard all night last night, was raining hard this morning, and rained most of the day in Juneau. 
So I was pleasantly surprised to find by the time I got Out the Road again that it was not raining, and the sky was much clearer than it was in town.
To see my loving and unconditionally accepting man smile when I walked down the steps to the picnic area lightened my heart.  
It was so incredibly good to see him.   
He had brought steaks, and garlic bread, and salad. 
I had not had a steak since I left Tennessee in January.........
My goofball guy mugging for the camera.  We ate our meal with Jamie drooling all over the place.
Usually she gets a bite or two at the end of the meal, but not today.  It was just too good to share with the mutt.
Below is the picnic shelter where we ate.  
After we were done our meal we built a large fire in the same firepit where we had grilled. 
I dragged a huge log up from the beach.  We joked and we laughed and we talked. 
A very lovely place to spend quiet time with someone you love on a Friday afternoon, on the way home from work.
I needed that too.........
A little bit of love can be like sunshine after rain, and cause
someone to realize that life is not in vain.....Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment