Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Growth and Happiness In The Mountains

Today was truly summer in Juneau.  There was not a cloud in the sky.  The sun shone brightly, the blue sky and mountains glistened.  It was 76 degrees.
And on days such as this, which are so few and so far between in this rainforest town in Alaska, people were compelled and driven to be outside. 
People walking, and sitting, and exploring, and sleeping in the grass.  People watching float planes, and shopping, and eating at outdoor restaurants.  And people together enjoying each others company.
On this truly summer day in Juneau.........

After a work day in which I consciously sought (and found) work-related reasons to be outside, I met LC downtown and we took the tramway up to the top of Mt Roberts.
I have been to the top of this extraordinary mountain two other times since I arrived in Juneau.
The first time I hiked up the trail from the trailhead, which is located in the back hills of downtown Juneau.  The trail is very steep but not overly long and I walked it in the dead of winter. 
For the last half mile I was continually post-holing in the deep snow.  It was tough going, but determined to reach the top I made it to the visitor center and overlook - calling my Mountain Boy when I arrived to share with him the views I was looking at. 
It was very windy, very cold, and completely quiet.  And I had a wonderful time alone.
The second time was in May and I took the tramway up during Juneau Days - a day of cheap tickets for the locals, to various tourist destinations in the city prior to the arrival of the first cruise ships of the season.
The gift shops and restaurants were open, and there were already many people up there.  Still a lot of snow on the ground at that elevation, but the day was also warm and sunny, much like it was today.
I love this mountain, and spent the day greatly looking forward to sharing it with my Mountain Boy this afternoon.........
The tramway leaving from sea level in downtown Juneau
The tram ride lasts for less than five minutes.  The climb is extremely steep and the car moves surprisingly quickly.  It is over almost before it has begun.
Once we arrived at the top we spent a few minutes taking pictures at the glassed-in overlook.  This is a view of the Gastineau Channel south of Juneau, with some of Douglas Island to the right......
And a picture of downtown Juneau (pretty much all of it), the Juneau-Douglas bridge and part of Douglas North....
Gastineau Channel facing north.  The sky is glistening and so are the Chilkats off in the far distance.....
Mt Roberts seems to be a favorite site for parasailing.  One of two gliders we saw this afternoon........
There is something very soothing about being in the mountains.  I feel calmer in the mountains......walking in them, looking across at them, being a part of them instead of just being a spectator of them.
A view of one small part of a very extensive mountain range over on Douglas. 
Almost the entire island is uninhabited, but this picture shows some of the houses and condos in what is a crowded residential area.
And one of three cruiseships that were in port today.....
I recognize some of the islands in the channel off in the distance.
Egan Drive downtown eventually turns into Glacier Highway once it winds its way Out the Road.
The highway follows the channel, so somewhere........out there.......is where we live.
Once we reached the top of Mt Roberts we quickly made our way to the trails, so we could wander higher into the mountains, and be away from people as much as possible.
Getting away is difficult this time of year when tourist season is the predominant driving force in the city. 
We ran into people from around the world often, but thankfully only for brief moments when we crossed paths.
LC loves these mountains as much as I do.....
I have taken pictures of this giant and beautiful cross before on a previous visit to Mt Roberts.
Today we took a trail to the cross that I did not recognize. 
It was only after we arrived at the cross and I had a look around, that I realized why our approach today had been so different from my approach alone in May.
In May there was still a lot of snow in places on Mt Roberts.  There was so much snow in places that it was completely covering tall bushes and small trees, and walking the steep and icy incline on my last trip was how I found my way to this cross......
LC knows that I don't like my picture being taken, so he likes to sneak pictures whenever he can.  Here I had just taken a picture of the channel.  I feel comfortable up there on that mountain.  I feel free. 
It is beautiful and open up there.  And in summer this mountain is full berries and wildflowers........
One of many trails surrounding the visitors center.
Some are flat and easily accessible for people of all ages and all fitness levels.  Others are more challenging and lead further into the mountains, only to stop at beautiful overlooks. 
And still others are much longer and much more rugged and lead........away.......to other mountains that surround Roberts.
Salmonberries are done for the season down at sea level.  But up here in the mountains they are still around.  I had no idea what salmonberries were until I moved to Alaska.
But I love the taste of them, and we picked a LOT of them over the past six weeks since my Mountain Boy has arrived here in Juneau.  I took this picture as he was offering me berries.......
I really like this picture.
He feels calmer in the mountains as well......
The boat harbor at the far end of Douglas South.........
As we continued hiking beyond the cross, we ran across this young man getting geared up to go parasailing.
He got his gear together, gave us the thumbs up, stood mentally preparing for what seemed like a long time, committed to his run, and then jumped off the cliff.........
Heading down the mountain on the way back to the visitors center and the tramway, and back down to civilization......
We both took a whole lot of pictures tonight during our very great adventure on the mountain.  I will post some more tomorrow.....

My youngest son called me tonight, while we were walking the boardwalk on the way back to our vehicles.
He has put in his release with the Air Force, and should be getting out in October.
I am not sure what his next move will be, and I am not sure if he knows either. 
But I trust the boy.  I trust his judgement and his ability to prevail in whatever he chooses to do next.  He will be fine.....
He is coming to visit us here in Juneau in about a week and a half, and will be here for a couple of weeks.
I have not seen my child in almost a year, since I flew to NJ to visit him not long before he headed to Iraq. 
I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it........Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment