Sunday, February 24, 2019

Smoke On The Water

I have taken many pictures over the past months that have not been shared in blog posts.
Part of me thinks that it is ridiculous to keep blogging.
Who blogs for a decade?
But I also have pictures.
Many pictures.
Pictures that have to go somewhere or what's the point.
Statement not question.
I wasn't always a picture-taking-a-holic.
It started a decade ago with a small digital camera that my oldest son gave to me not long before leaving for Juneau AK.
Another life time ago....................

These pictures were all taken sometime way back in November.
The days were getting shorter and at that time I was rushing home at the end of each day, so I could grab my dog and head out to the lake before dark.
Sometimes LC came with us and sometimes not, but over the past year my spoiled dog has learned that when I get home she goes somewhere and so I am always greeted with hysterical puppy-barking.
Sometimes we just go outside and around the house.
Sometimes to the back of our one acre to say hello to the lonesome horse on the adjoining property.
Sometimes for a walk on leash around the 1 mile or so block.
And often to the lake.
Not long after these pictures were taken, trips to the lake were relegated to LC during the week.  
Winter was bearing down.
Darkness was coming too fast.
Freezing temperatures were also coming too fast.
But on this particular day LC and I bundled against the freezing cold, grabbed our hysterical dog and rushed to the lake to squeeze out as much daylight as we could.......................
The sun was already rapidly descending below the surrounding mountains.
Darkness was not far behind, but we all walked on the rocky beach, relishing in the silent beauty of this place that is only two miles from the house...............
If you were a sixties kid and a seventies teenager like me, then you remember a particular song.
Every kid who learned to play the guitar learned to play this song.
As Kory happily ran and played on the beach, LC and I walked and talked, catching up on each others' day.
And as I looked out over the lake and saw the smoke, I thought of that 70s song.
The song every single kid of a certain generation knew how to play on a guitar...................
We all came out to Montreux
On the Lake Geneva shoreline
To make records with a mobile
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground

Smoke on the water, fire in the sky
Smoke on the water

No comments:

Post a Comment