Monday, July 2, 2018

Wildflowers And Something Unexpected

I took these pictures quite a few weeks ago now, just on the outskirts of Oregon Basin.
We drove our Tahoe up into the hills.
Over rocky sections and rutted out sections, and finally parked the vehicle alongside a wide spot on the double track dirt trail, after realizing the our dog was going to jump out of her skin........fur........if she didn't break free from the bondage of the vehicle immediately.
Like Now! 
We were only one draw over from where we usually wander, and it was late in the day and still very warm.
I had gotten home from my store only to be greeted by an already-hysterical dog who has now learned that when I get home we all go somewhere fun (somewhere that inevitably involves puppy getting to run).
Tossing lap top and small backpack onto the couch, we all three rushed for the door.
Apparently there is a misnomer that WE train dogs.
When it fact it is actually the other way around....................
Kory had already disappeared over a rise on the trail by the time LC and I reached this point.
We weren't worried about her even though Kory was out of sight.
Over the years we had all developed routines and confidence in each other.
She was out of sight but we both knew that our dog was actually close by.
Roaming for the sheer joy of roaming.
Investigating every rock, sage bush, blade of grass and tree root that caught her interest.
Chasing rabbits if the opportunity presented itself.
Mostly just.............being free.
There were wild flowers everywhere.............
We were only 5 miles from the outskirts of Cody but it felt (as it always does) as if we were in the middle of nowhere.
We had visited this area many times over the winter with Kory and we were always the only people out there.
LC and I had both assumed that Oregon Basin would be busier through the other three seasons of the year.
In fact, we HAD seen occasional people hiking, walking their dogs, riding horses, riding four wheelers.
But not many.
Surprisingly, more often that not, we were still the only people who visited this place....................
There were pockets of flowers everywhere we looked, and in a multitude of colors.
Whites, blues, purples, reds, yellows........all were represented out on BLM land in June just on the outskirts of Cody.
While our dog continued with her disappearing act somewhere in the hills, LC and I also wandered in the hills enjoying the sight of wild flowers.................
It was the blue ones.
The blue ones that were the most abundant.
The blue ones that captured our attention the most, and which stood out the most in pictures that I had taken on this trip.
The were so blue they almost looked photo-shopped into some of my pictures.
So incredibly beautiful.................
I had my back to him when LC called my name.
Turning, I saw him standing about 100 feet away from me and smiling, he waved me over to him and told me to come see what he had found.
Curious I picked my way around cactuses and sage bushes until I reached him.
Looking down I was surprised to see this cross..............
We were in the middle of silent and empty BLM land.
In the hills, surrounded by wild flowers and mountains.
And in front of me was a grave site for a dog.
Someone had lovingly buried their dog in this place.
Had taken the time to make this metal cross and to engrave it in memory of their beloved four legged companion.
Had taken the time to cover the grave with rocks, so nothing would disturb it.
As I continued to study the grave sight in front of me I could easily imagine the owner of this dog loving his pup as much as we loved Kory.
Could imagine him walking the hills, just as we were walking.
Could imagine this dog happily running, just as our own dog was now happily running.
It was unexpected.
It was touching.
And I was touched.................
Heart Mountain in the distance............
Clapping occasionally just so our dog can keep tabs on where we are...............
We closed on our house.
We're moving in this Friday.
Will post more in the next blog post.................

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master...........Ben Hur Lampman

No comments:

Post a Comment