Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Music Of The Ramp

I don't remember exactly when these pictures were taken.
Sometime in early December I believe.
We had already experienced snow.  And then complete melting by the time of these pictures.
On this day LC, Kory and I headed out to the Southfork.
All the snow that had previously covered the ground was now completely gone.
It was sunny (in that watery kind of way that dominates in winter and that provides no warmth at all).
It was freezing cold and beautiful.
The main reason for the trip was to look at a piece of land.
It was at a time when we thought that we may be able to build something and live outside the city limits.
A time of innocence for both of us, before we learned that such areas as the Southfork (and other areas in all directions that are within easy driving distance of Cody) sold cheap land with covenants so demanding that we would never be able to afford to build.
But on this day we were still blindly unknowing, and eager to look at a piece of land that was located within throwing distance of the back side of Buffalo Bill Reservoir.
After searching for and easily finding the land, we quickly discounted it.
It was low lying and boggy land in back of another piece of land, with completely obstructed views.  
It was one of the first pieces we looked at, and we looked at others before finally learning about the covenants, the building codes and costs, the HOAs, the costs related to utility hookups, and all other associated demands and requirements to building.
Until we finally and reluctantly realized that building was never going to happen for us...............

We have been on a long journey since we arrived here.
A long and frustrating journey that I will write about at some point when the journey is all said and done............

Prior to leaving the rental cottage LC and I had decided to walk at the reservoir when we were through, and on the way to the water LC pulled over the Tahoe so that I could snap pictures of these horses.
They were beautiful creatures and were very curious about me..................
When I had first climbed out of the Tahoe and slowly wandered towards the fence, the horses had been scattered over a wide swatch of field.
All quietly standing in small groups, or walking in pairs, or absently grazing in the almost bare field in hopes of finding one or two blades of grass that had not yet fallen dormant for the winter.
After quickly snapping a handful of pictures, they all gradually began to wander closer to the fence, very curious about this woman with a camera...............
After watching these beautiful animals gently jockey for position by the fence, I turned back towards the Tahoe, climbed in, smiled one more time in the direction of the horses, and we continued on with our quiet morning adventure.
The reservoir was only a couple more miles further down the winding, two lane highway.
Turning right off the highway, LC drove down the hill and pulled the vehicle into a parking spot beside the water.
When I climbed out of the Tahoe I realized immediately that it was a whole lot colder here than it had been just a few miles back the way we had come.
I had not been cold while snapping pictures of a small herd of horses, but I was immediately cold standing by the water.
It was windy.
It was cold.
It was going to be a quick trip............
Grabbing a hold of Korys' leash before she darted around me and jumped down onto the ground, I noticed that LC had already started up a quiet conversation with an older man who was fishing from the shore.
As I walked by the pair I told LC that we would go on ahead and he could catch up when he was ready.
Walking slowly so we wouldn't get too far ahead of him I let out Korys leash, giving her room to roam ahead of me.
Walking slowly suited me just fine.  
Reluctantly pulled off my gloves I snapped pictures to my left and right, as woman and dog walked along the huge dike that separated the reservoir into two sections for 1/2 mile or so.................
After slowly wandering for 10 minutes I turned to see if LC was on his way.  
Kory and I had wandered quite a ways and I could see LC battling the increasing wind and headed in our direction.
Smiling inwardly at the sight of him I turned back to look down at Kory.
A sturdy metal dock was close, and I decided that we would wait for LC at the dock...............
By the time we reached the dock I turned to monitor LCs progress and was surprised to see that he was turning back.
By this time it was very windy and freezing cold.
As usual Kory seemed impervious to the weather. 
For a Florida dog, she was remarkably suited from the conditions in the west that we had forced upon her.
I hoped that LC had simply decided to not battle against the elements (he had).
I hoped that he had not been offended when Kory and I had kept going without him (he had not).
I would sort that out on our return to the vehicle.
In the meantime - and since we were already here - I felt a gentle tug on the leash and allowed Kory to lead ME out onto the dock...............
I was very cold but it was beautiful here, and I stood looking out over a frozen reservoir surrounded by frozen mountains.
It was beautiful - silent and serene and empty and beautiful..............
Ice on the sides of the boat dock..............
Embedded in thoughts of LC and pre-occupation with picture taking, I suddenly realized what it was that I had been subconsciously hearing for the last few minutes.
As woman and mutt headed back towards the dike I looked more critically at the ramp, studying it as I went, suddenly enamored.
I was hearing music.
All around me.
The entire ramp was gently vibrating in the wind, over and under and around bars and posts and ramp sections.
The vibration was consistent and the resulting noise was high pitched and beautiful.
Musical.
How could I have not noticed it before?
Because (as happens so often) the noise in my head drowned out the sounds of the world.
In this case, drowned out the music of the ramp.
Suddenly it didn't matter that my hands were freezing or that my cheeks were burning from the cold, and I stood listening to the music of the ramp for a few more minutes.
Alone on the huge embankment that divided much of the reservoir, I felt as though the sounds were being made for only me.
For only me to enjoy.
And it was a highly personal and enjoyable experience.
Eventually it was time to reluctantly turn away from my music and head back to the Tahoe...............
Carter Mountain in the background..................
On the way back I also noticed for the first time that the entire shore line was edged with ice.
It's amazing what you can see and hear when you allow your mind to calm down...............

I love the scent of winter. I love the scent of winter enough to suffer the cold for it............Tiffany Reisz, The Scent Of Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment