Sunday, January 28, 2018

Beck Lake Park

All pictures taken a week ago.
Beck Lake Park is a wonderful outdoor recreation space that is found inside the city limits, making it easy for locals to enjoy nature without having to travel.
It contains two large reservoirs, biking and walking trails, a dog park and so many other resources.
More on the park here:
On this day temperatures were mild, the lakes were frozen, and LC, Kory and I walked the perimeter of one of the lakes.
It was a Sunday morning and the mild temperatures and watery sunshine of a winter day brought many people out to enjoy the day.
A couple of families were ice fishing.
A few people were bicycle on paved trails.
And many people were happily walking their happy dogs.
Everyone greeted us as we passed them by, smiling, greeting and petting Kory, wishing us a nice day, and we did the same in return.
It was all very nice and friendly and civilized, and even now (four months after having left Idaho) we still cannot believe just how friendly and welcoming people are in Cody.
Looking back towards Cedar Mountain on the left and Rattlesnake Mountain on the right.
Through the canyon between those two mountains is Buffalo Bill Reservoir, Wapiti, the Northfork, and eventually the East Gate of the park.............
In the spring and summer locals fish on these small lakes.
There is a mountain bike obstacle course that is new since we were last in Cody.
On the paths that circumnavigate half of the lower lake there are permanent signs providing information on bird and wild life that is commonly seen in the area (including warnings about rattlesnakes).
On this day we were walking the entire perimeter of the upper lake, and both LC and I let Kory take the lead.
Our pup taking the lead meant that we were in constant stop and start mode, as she inquisitively investigated interesting rocks and sage bushes along the route.
And that was fine.
We were in no rush...............
Heart Mountain dominates the landscape.
Always.................
Kory wearing her new harness.
Sometimes I even remember to put it on her before leaving the house................
Curious puppy-on-ice checking out our curious puppy-on-trail..............
View from one of the fishing piers.................
In past years I had walked around these lakes in all other seasons.
This place is beautiful (for different reasons) in all seasons.
Even the season of winter when snow is gone, the days are short and the world is brown.
As we walked around one bend in the trail I looked over at a bench that was installed on one more fishing pier.
I had sat on the concrete bench for a short while one day years ago and looked over the lake, while rubbing the ears of my dog who sat by my feet.
Her name was Jamie and I had known her since she was five months old.
She had mysteriously shown up on my doorstep in the country long before I had even met LC.
She had refused to leave the back yard and eventually my boys persuaded me to keep her at a time when I had no interest in bringing a second dog into our home.
I loved that dog then, just as I love Kory now................

At my place I can really tell when winter has come.. It's when sunlight is pathetically crawling in my courtyard, incapable of reaching my window anymore..........Boulet

No comments:

Post a Comment