Sunday, December 7, 2014

Deer From The Kitchen Window

All of these pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago, at a time when we still had the remnants of snow on the ground.
After three snow storms over the past few weeks that have fallen and then quickly melted away, we are now in a period (that began a few days ago and is slated to last for at least a few more days) of temperatures in the 40's.
As it was with the transition from winter to spring earlier this year, the transition back to winter again is a halting, stop and start affair.
On this late evening I walked on BLM land with my dog, me staying on trails in back of town and she roaming and romping the way that she is happily apt to do.
It was one more beautiful night.  
One more beautiful sunset.
One more quiet walk in the last of the remaining snow.............
 If anyone ever asks me about it, I will absolutely deny it.
But I eat a lot of cereal and a lot of bananas on my cereal.
And occasionally..........perhaps............it is not unheard of (as I am carrying a bag of garbage to the community dumpster around the corner from the house) for a banana peel or two to (accidentally of course) fall out of that garbage bag.
Earlier the day these pictures were taken, Kory and I dumped a bag of garbage into the dumpster before continuing on with our walk.
A few hours after returning to the house I walked from the living room into the kitchen in search of one more cup of coffee.
Movement outside the window caught my attention, and as I turned to see what was there I smiled at the sight of them.
There were perhaps 12 or so deer in total standing directly across the road from the house.  Some were on the opposite side of the tall fence obviously grazing on anything edible that they could still find at this time of year, while a handful were standing close to the road looking in my direction.
I called to LC and he wandered from the office, walked down the hallway, passed through the living room and walked into the kitchen.
Smiling, I wordlessly pointed to the window.
As LC stood by the kitchen window I quietly walked outside and stood by the front door, snapping a few quick pictures before heading back inside.
And then we spent 20 minutes watching the deer through the kitchen window before bundling up in boots and jackets and hats and walking outside with our dog...............
 'Your growing antlers,' Bambi continued, 'are proof of your intimate place in the forest, for of all the things that live and grow only the trees and the deer shed their foliage each year and replace it more strongly, more magnificently, in the spring. Each year the trees grow larger and put on more leaves. And so you too increase in size and wear a larger, stronger crown............Felix Salten, Bambi's Children

No comments:

Post a Comment