Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Have To Go

I don't remember the first part of the dream although I know that there was a first part.
I only remember standing beside him and looking up at his face.
We had been talking but I don't remember about what.
His face was that incredibly beautiful face that I had known and loved for a lifetime.  
The same smile.
The same blue eyes.
His face began to slowly but perceptibly change in front of me.
I stood watching him, he standing in partial profile, mesmerized by him but no longer listening to what he was saying.
And then he stopped talking and simply looked out at..............what?
His clear eyes slowly began to fade.
The skin under his eyes turned purple and black.
His cheek turned an angry purple and then grew into an open and bloodied wound as I watched.
His neck turned an angry purple and then grew into an open and bloodied wound as I watched.
His entire life I had placed the palm of my hand on his cheek, held it there and then dropped it down the length of his neck before inevitably (reaching down to him when he was little and reaching up to him when he was big), kissing him on his cheek.
I placed the palm of my hand below the gaping wound on his cheek and watched him closely, both of us silent.
He was fading before my eyes.
Without looking at me he said "I have to go".
And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment