Monday, May 27, 2013

What Do You Say To That

We are now in the last week of May and today the weather is cold, windy and unsettled.
A tornado touched down this morning in the small community of Meeteetse, about 30 minutes south east of us.
Originally LC and I had planned on taking a free wheeling, four wheeling trip with someone I have come to know through the business I started.
He purchased his side-by-side off-road vehicle recently, because (as he jokes with me, but I somehow think that he is more serious than he lets on) it would be a "chick magnet".
I'm not sure about the chick magnet aspect, but this intelligent and lonely man does seem to be enjoying his new toy, and spends a lot of time exploring BLM land in the area.
There is much to explore.
He his a little older, has some health issues, and when I don't hear from him for a few days I call him and tell him that I'm just checking to make certain that the ravens aren't pecking the eyes out of the skull of his dead carcass, out on BLM.
We had arranged to meet at his place at noon but by 10:30 this morning we were surrounded by ominous looking clouds that were circling us in all directions, and they were coming across the mountains and heading our way.
The rain never made it to the house but the winds are now cold and strong.
I called the old man after I heard the tornado warning because he lives down in that general area, warning him to stay indoors and to not head out on such an unsettled day.
And so - in the last week of May - we have a small fire burning in the wood stove, and the house is rocking due to the cold winds.
These pictures were all taken in the yard and along the road where we live, and were taken well over a month ago.
There was still snow on the ground and it was a cold and very clear evening.
Where we lived in Tennessee it was always a challenge to catch decent pictures of the sunset.
Hard to get away from civilization.  Away from people.  Hard even to find an open spot in between the abundant trees that I loved so much.
In Wyoming it is an easy task to capture pictures of the setting sun.
We live a few miles outside of town and are surrounded by wide open space and multiple mountain ranges.
The sky is beautiful.  The mountains are beautiful.  The sunsets are beautiful.
I took these pictures while slowly walking around the house and down the dirt road.
Walking alone with both my thoughts and my dog............
We have had more rain over the past couple of weeks than I ever imagined that Cody would get.
These pictures show remaining snow, but it is gone now and in its place is a world greener than I ever expected to see Wyoming.
The water was turned on in the irrigation canal a couple of weeks ago.
The canal snakes its way through the entire Big Horn Basin and feeds the fields that farmers have already plowed and planted.
Water.  Green.  Sun.  It is an extraordinary combination that brings a world that has been sleeping in winter hibernation, to life............
I continue to worry about my youngest son Chris.
My son Chris........
I don't know where his head is.  Where his heart is.
I left voice mail messages for him two days in a row, telling him I was thinking of him and hoped that things were alright.
He called me last night to tell me that he was fine, and although he was calling me to reassure me that he was OK he also did not feel like talking right now.
What does a mother say to that?
"OK Babe.  Call me when you can.  I hope that you're OK.  I love you."
I love you Baby............
Where is the son I used to know?.............
One of the five beautiful horses that lives on the property.
A wild mustang that is now a domestic animal.
Without enough human interaction and ridden too rarely..............

No comments:

Post a Comment