Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Speaks To Me

One day a few of weeks ago LC, Jamie and I drove up to McMinnville to run an errand and then climbed one of the back roads leading up onto the mountain and such small communities as Beersheba Springs.
At the time I remember how exciting it was to realize that the world was again turning green.
It really hits home to me now just how fast the world in Tennessee has changed in only the past few weeks.
After finishing errands we stopped briefly at this dam.
As with many such dams in Tennessee it is old, with partially crumbling structures and with old rusty structures surrounding it.
This small dam, located within minutes of downtown McMinnville reminded me very much of the small dam we stopped at in Shelbyville a few months ago:
Both are located in town, contain green space and beautiful fast-moving water, logs at the base of the falls that continually get sucked back into the circular washing machine rapids.
Both are used a great deal by local fishermen who welcome the opportunity to cast a line from shore without having to travel out of town...............
While LC and James stayed close to the water I wandered slowly around the park, greatly enjoying the opportunity to walk and to be alone for a few minutes.
The park was quiet and very lovely on this grey day.................
I still remember the first time I saw him.
We were meeting for breakfast at a restaurant half way between where he lived and where I lived.
I missed the driveway for the restaurant and pulled into the adjoining gas station so that I could turn around and head back.
As I was pulling out of the driveway I saw his truck turn into the restaurant parking lot.
I pulled in a minute later, parked my truck and watched him as he was driving slowly through the lot also looking for a parking spot.
He saw me, cocked his head as if to say "is that her?", and then parked his truck a few spots down from mine.
We walked up to each other and wordlessly stared at each other for a moment, both of us unsure whether we should hug or shake hands or do nothing but simply say hello.
We hugged. 
And I knew in that first instant that this would not be a one-time meeting.
That was five years ago this month..............
McMinnville is a town known regionally for its abundant nurseries.
The land surrounding this town is filled with small and independently owned nurseries with all sizes of trees and plants.
The land is rich and flat and lush, and surrounded by beautiful hills.
It is a very quiet and very beautiful region and beyond the nurseries are many small farms that have been in the same family for generations.................
By the time we climbed the steep and narrow and winding two lane road leading up to Beersheba Springs it was raining hard, but all three of us seemingly continual travelers were greatly enjoying our quiet trip.
Beersheba Springs is home to Stone Door and Laurel Falls and Greeter Falls.
It is a very small and very old community as all communities in this area are.
By the time we passed the entrance to Stone Door and stopped just beyond the park at this old cabin the world was completely silent except for the sounds of us and the rain.
There was no traffic and there were no people................
We spent more time than we had expected at this place.
It was lovely, peaceful, historic.
A quiet park in the center of a quiet town..............

The beauty of the trees, the softness of the air,
the fragrance of the grass speaks to me.
The summit of the mountain, the thunder of the sky,
The rhythm of the sea, speaks to me.
The faintness of the stars, the freshness of the morning,
the dewdrop on the flower, speaks to me.
The strength of the fire, the taste of salmon, the trail of the sun,
and the life that never goes away, they speak to me
And my heart soars.
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment