Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sudden Shore Line

The water is down.
It's way down.
And suddenly and unexpectedly there are huge swaths of rocky and sandy shoreline to walk.
Kory is ecstatic.
So am I.
As the days get shorter, the world is almost imperceptibly but surely beginning to get quieter.
Winding itself down and preparing itself to sleep.
Summer is not quite done yet, and fall is not quite here yet, but both of those seasons are now falling all over each other.
A puppy pile of ever changing conditions.
Hot.  Cold.  Warm.  Cold.  Changing daily..............
On this day I walked alone with Kory.
Wandering on the unexpected expanse of newly revealed shoreline.
Walking awkwardly on the rocks and sinking periodically in the sand.
Loving the view of the silent mountains that overlooked the silent lake, and loving the sight of my joyous dog as she gleefully alternated between running, marking, investigating and then wading into the water to take a quick drink.
As much as I like our home and the endless views of the mountains, the one big - the BIG - is that we are close to the lake...............
The terrain that had been so familiar throughout the summer months suddenly looked completely different to me.
There were now endless acres of land exposed that I had never seen before.
The last time I had been here much of this area had been underwater, and on this day I was mesmerized by all this "newness".
As Kory and I wandered I was keenly aware that Kory and I could suddenly walk in so many places that we had not been able to walk before.................
Dry and parched ground.
It has been a long, hot summer.................
I don't know tracks, but this little critter walked this way when the ground was still saturated, and now his footprints were etched into the parched earth.................
It was late in the day, and the light was perfect.
As I continued to wander along the shore line I quietly fought to get used to the new reality of Buffalo Bill Reservoir.
The trees were already beginning to turn yellow. 
The days were getting shorter and the sun was already beginning to descend by the time I rushed home, grabbed my puppy, sometimes grabbed my guy, and rushed down to the lake to decompress from one more long day.
The endless warmth and sunshine extending until past 9pm was a thing of the past.
And high water levels were gone, only to be replaced by endless walking places overlooking blue waves.
Yes...........I could get used to this.
Just as I could get used to walking on a snow-filled beach overlooking a frozen lake a few months from now.
I am excited for summer to be done..................
Kory heading for shore after a short swim.................
We closed on our house in Idaho on September 21 of last year.
One year ago tomorrow.
If I think back over the past year and everything we have done, it makes my head tired.
It has been a long year in many ways.
Long.  Tiring.  Expensive.  Worrisome.  Exhilarating.  Frustrating.  Exciting.  So many other descriptives.
But a year later LC and I both believe that it has all been worth it.
The Tahoe with Carter Mountain in the background...............

A little tranquil lake is more significant to my life than any big city in the world.....................Munia Khan

No comments:

Post a Comment