Thursday, August 23, 2018

Walk Around The Lake

On this late afternoon deep into summer, my sweet dog and I left LC at one of two fishing piers that are located at either end of Markham Reservoir, waved goodbye, and went for a long walk.
Beck Lake and Markham Reservoir are wonderful natural spaces that are located right in town.
Beloved (rightfully so) places to spend time outdoors without having the leave the city limits.
Over this past summer Kory and I have walked around both lakes often.
I have kayaked these places.
LC has fished these places.
A couple of times I mountain biked the trails surrounding the lakes until finally giving up on the effort, after deciding that there were too many rattlesnakes hidden in too-high grass, too little shade for an overheated woman, and too little of interest on the trails to keep me entertained while biking.
God I miss the base.
The military base back in Tennessee where I spent endless hours over endless weeks over endless months over endless years trail running, trail riding, kayaking.
There are things I always miss about Tennessee - the trees, the fall colors, the waterways, the base.
Not enough to ever want to go back there, but sometimes I do miss those things....................
This day (as with so many immediately before it and immediately after it) was very hot and very dry.
We walked slowly, enjoying the natural beauty of the lakes and flowers, and I watched with pleasure as my dog took multiple quick swims and drinks from the lake.
My desert dog has happily turned into a lake dog.................
My little camera could not zoom in far enough to capture a good picture of the two pelicans on the lake.
I remember being shocked the first time I saw pelicans in Cody.
It was out at Buffalo Bill Reservoir the first time we landed in Cody years ago now - close to where we now live - and I was stunned to see the handful of pelicans bobbing in the water close to one of the small islands that inhabit a section of the lake.
Since that first time I have seen them often.
As with the seagulls that reside in this area, I suppose they must have blown in on the winds...................
While Kory and I wandered along the paved trails surrounding the lake I looked up in the hills and watched as a couple of mountain bikers pedaled by us.
A dog excitedly ran alongside one of the riders.
There was no way I could bike outside on a day like this.
It was almost 100 degrees.
Zero shade.
Overgrown sandy and cactus filled trails.
Rattlesnakes.
Little to hold my interest.
Almost 100 degrees................
The lake to my left and this irrigation canal to my right...............
Heart Mountain.
The same place I hiked to the top of back in June (and which I still need to blog about).
The same place that has been almost completely hidden for the past month.
Hidden behind the smoke of endless wild fires that have been consuming the entire western side of the country...............
By the time my dog and I rounded the back side of Markham Reservoir the sun was beginning to descend on the horizon.
We still had plenty of daylight left, it was still very hot but not "quite" as hot as when we first set out, and we had another 20 minutes of walking left to do before arriving at the fishing pier where I had left LC.
It was going to be a very beautiful evening.................
A kayaker on the lake.
The Cody Airport lights and airstrip directly across the lake from us.
And in the distance was the start of McCullough Peaks.................
Cedar Mountain on the left.
Rattlesnake Mountain on the right................
The first fishing pier.
LC was at the next one, 15 minutes further down the flat paved trail we were hiking...................
Since he was both the start point and the finish point of our hike, it would have made sense to take a picture of LC when I was done, but I did not.
Instead, I took this picture as we were almost there.
Instantly enamored and distracted by the light and shadow and reflections in front of me.
This whole place is entirely gorgeous.
It is well used by walkers and bikers and fishermen and kayakers and canoers and swimmers and picnic-ers.
Dogs play at the dog park.
Dogs walk with their owners around the lakes.
Little kids play on the swings while moms and dads sit at picnic tables.
The lakes are beautiful.
The views of the surrounding mountains are wonderful.
Just a quiet and beautiful place..................

Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake.............Wallace Stevens
Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake. Wallace Stevens
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/lake

No comments:

Post a Comment