Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Southfork - Part 1

The South Fork (named for the south fork of the Shoshone River) is just like the North Fork.
It is a special place.
From Cody the winding, and paved two lane south fork road, begins as a drive much like any other, and comes complete with a series of older homes, newer subdivisions, over sized ritzy homes and large ranches.
A few miles from the turnoff is the back side of Buffalo Bill Reservoir.
Beyond the reservoir is ever increasing isolation (broken only occasionally by high end ranches) for the next 30 miles.
On one more unseasonably warm late fall day a couple of weeks ago, LC and Kory and I took a long drive from Cody to the end of the road at the end of the south fork.
Before we had traveled too far we stopped for our hysterical dog, who we are becoming increasingly convinced has learned to bark non-stop because when she does we'll stop and walk with her.
We stopped on the back side of the reservoir.
While LC carried on a warm and friendly conversation with an elderly man who was sitting in a camp chair fishing from the shore, I wandered with my dog and snapped these pictures.
The water was a reflection of the day - calm, still, warm, beautiful...............
The south fork side of the Buffalo Bill Reservoir is by far the more beautiful end of the lake and (because it is not located on the road to Yellowstone National Park) it often falls under the radar of tourists.
Looking back frequently to check on the progress of my Mountain Boy, I slowly alternated between walking the road and walking alongside the shore with Kory.
This was the first time we had been down the south fork since we arrived back in Wyoming.
 This day was intended to give us a chance to become reacquainted with the south fork again after being away for a few years.
I had forgotten this place.
No - scratch that - I had just forgotten how beautiful this place really was...............
After loading back into the Tahoe, we all three continued on with our journey.
The world at this time of year was nothing but beige.
There was some snow in the mountains on this day, but most of the world was just.........beige.
The color of the west.
The color in the spring and the color in the fall.
Sometimes the color for the last half of summer.
It's not for everyone.
Sometimes I start looking at properties that are for sale in Tennessee just for the helluva it.
I would love it there if it were not for the fast-approaching 7 million people that co-exist in such a small space.
 And if it were not for the monsters back there that I still barely succeed in keeping locked behind the door.
Sometimes they push in unison very hard against the door, and I can see the hinges straining and the door bowing under the stress, working hard to keep the monsters at bay.
If we ever went back to Tennessee I know that they would succeed in barging through that door and then I would be done.
Game over.
I know all of that, but occasionally I look at endless green and endless water and...........indulge.
Sometimes I miss it there.
But one trip into the astonishingly beautiful that is all around us in Wyoming and I no longer miss Tennessee...............
By the time we reached the south fork section of the Shoshone National Forest we had been driving for about 45 minutes.
By this time we were away from homes and deep in the mountains.
The complete sense of isolation was overwhelming, but in a good way.
There was a man I had known for the better part of 11 years.
There was a dog I had known for 4 years.
And there was me.
We were in Wyoming, in the South Fork, and we were together.
And that was pretty good..................

That's what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you're not so lovable...........Deb Caletti

No comments:

Post a Comment