Thursday, December 22, 2016

Little Color In A Black And White World - Part 2

LC and Kory coming back after clearing snow away, warming up the Suburban and driving it through town.
As they roamed through our snowy town I continued to wander in the yard, in child like awe of how different and how beautiful everything looked covered with a blanket of snow..................
In our black and white world the few things around me that were colorful popped in pictures..............
By the time we cleared snow off vehicles, cleared snow off driveway and walkway, warmed up vehicles, drove around town, and took pictures in the back and front yards both humans and one dog had been outside for a couple of hours.
Temperatures were mild, nobody else in town was outside or had dared to confront the day, and so we had the world to ourselves.  
Or so it felt.
After building a fire in the living room wood stove, drinking more coffee and warming up I suddenly had the desire to cross country ski.
I was gone for an hour.
I still suck but I can get around on them, and just as importantly I could be alone outside without having to keep one eye on a dog (that can disappear in moments when she has a mind to).
And so I skied, slid and unceremoniously wobbled my way down the center of an empty road before bushwhack-skiing across a field and picking up a trail that circled me back to town.
Within minutes of returning to the house it began to snow again.
It snowed for the rest of the day.
And I loved it...............
It snowed all week. Wheels and footsteps moved soundlessly on the street, as if the business of living continued secretly behind a pale but impenetrable curtain. In the falling quiet there was no sky or earth, only snow lifting in the wind, frosting the window glass, chilling the rooms, deadening and hushing the city. At all hours it was necessary to keep a lamp lighted, and Mrs. Miller lost track of the days: Friday was no different from Saturday and on Sunday she went to the grocery: closed, of course...............Truman Capote

No comments:

Post a Comment