Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Watchful Deer

I snapped all of these pictures a few days ago right in front of the house.
LC and I excitedly walked out into the falling snow and watched them, while we heard Kory standing on the kitchen table barking wildly behind us.
We slowly stepped away from the house and I watched the deer as they raised their heads in unison and in moderate alarm, all of them watchful for what we would do next.
We walked very slowly, one step at a time until we were standing in the middle of the road.
The small herd of deer (mothers with their yearlings) studied us closely and then slowly started to move towards us.
They did not come right up to us, but they came very close and I knew that curiosity had gotten the better of them
I snapped many pictures.
These are only some of them.
We stayed with them for a long time before finally and slowly turning back towards the house.
As we reached the front door I smacked on the kitchen window.
"Get off the table!!"
The same words I had good naturedly yelled at my pup a hundred times before.
She instantly jumped off the table and I knew that my dog would be standing right in front of the door.  
So close in fact, that after opening the door a little we would have to tell her to back up so get could get inside.
Click on any of the pictures and they will all enlarge.....................
“What do you call yourself?" the Fawn said at last. Such a soft sweet voice it had!
"I wish I knew!" thought poor Alice. She answered, rather sadly, "Nothing, just now."
"Think again," it said: "that won't do."
Alice thought, but nothing came of it. "Please, would you tell me what you call yourself?" she said timidly, "I think that might help a little."
"I'll tell you, if you'll come a little further on," the Fawn said. "I can't remember here."
So they walked on together through the wood, Alice with her arms clasped lovingly round the soft neck of the Fawn, till they came out into another open field, and here the Fawn gave a sudden bound into the air, and shook itself free from Alice's arms. "I'm a Fawn!" it cried out in a voice of delight. "And dear me, you're a human child!" A sudden look of alarm came into its beautiful brown eyes, and in another moment it had darted away at full speed.” .................Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland & Through The Looking-Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment